I'm clearly gonna have one of those weeks where I have no idea what day it actually is. At the moment I think it's Wednesday.
Anyhow, I was at a wedding.
Weddings make me feel weird. I think more so than just churches on their own.
At some point, I do want to get married. I think. I mean, if I find that person that I want to commit like that to, obviously. But I don't think I'll be doing it in the conventional way. Well duh. But I couldn't stand to have hymns [do you know how long All Things Bright and Beautiful is? It's really long]. Or overly preachy readings. The whole religious element just makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. Which is a shame, because some churches are very nice, as are some of the clergy types in them. I don't think it's the 'faith' part of it so much, more the kind of feeling that the couple are committing to God more than they are to each other. I realise that for people who are religious, God plays a pretty big part in the whole thing.. but I just.. I dunno.. [Let's just pretend that was a coherent thought].
Like, if I were to get married, I would want to be committing to my partner 100%. And I would want to do so because I love them. I would want to treat them well and with respect because I love them and that's what they deserve [and hopefully what I've been doing anyway up to that point]. Not because God says I should, or because I promised God I would. I'd want my partner to be my sole focus of my promises/pledges/commitment/whatever. If I was going to involve any third party, it would probably be a repetition of my promises to my partner's family, so that they could beat my ass if I treated my partner badly and failed to look after them.
I suppose this is all a bit moot. So I don't really know why I'm typing it out. I guess it was just weird to hear all these promises to God and general religious sentiments when I hadn't previously associated any sort of church-going to the couple.
In other news:
3 peachicks have hatched and the hound[grey] has hurt her paws and is looking thoroughly miserable.
Monday, July 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment