Wednesday, November 22, 2006

new, brand new..



mmmyaaay...

I gots me my shi-.. well, it's pretty matt actually, new brand new album in the post today ^_^
it's nice so far.. I'm liking it. I'm liking it a lot..

so today's happenings-

*Nearly weirded out for the second time in English this week.. explanation will follow..
*Started painting the set for the play.. it was fun.. 7 people in a small room with no windows and 6 open tins of paint.. fumes ahoy? oh yes.. they were ahoy alright..
*well jesus christ I'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cos this problem's gonna last more than the weekend.. did I mention the brand new brand new? did you notice I enjoy repetitive phrases?
*I learnt how to figure out how much of the world there is.
*I ran out of brownies =(

Being Weirded Out In English
So we're reading The Rape Of The Lock at the moment.. which was good enough for starters.. but then yesterday we got to this bit about the Cave of Spleen..yes that's right,
The Cave of SPLEEN [I quite like the word spleen. It sounds good]
So in this cave, people have crazy hallucinations and think they're things they're not, eg. a goose pie. which is fair enough as is the line, ' And maids turn'd bottles'... BUT THEN..
you read on..
and the full line turns out to be:
"And maids turn'd bottles, call aloud for corks.'
Which.. may sound fine to innocents.. but my English Teacher then confirms that, yes, it IS innuendo.. And what's more it is intended innuendo.. Pope knew what he was doing when he put that in there.. not like 'nosegay'..
Shocking.

But wait! There's more!
Today..
we got to the bit where her hair has been raped, and she's all sad and decides to say,
'Oh hadst thou, cruel! been content to seize
Hairs less in sight, or any hairs but these'

Now, you may just be thinking.. as I told myself she must have meant, that she was talking about other hairs on her head..
Oh no..
No,
She wasn't.

...

uh huh...

So I get easily weirded out when books are actually saying the things I was thinking humorously to myself..


And with that badly retold story...

~Over and cut off Cap'n..

'Hey hey Mr. Hangman go get your rope..'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh isn't English fun?! I had the joy of reading about a cock buggering chickens (no puns intended) Chaucer is one saaaucy boy!

Mwiko said...

ah.. our english teacher was saying today 'if you think pope is bad for innuendo, you'd die with chaucer...'

hehe.. it got worse today... but i'll keep that for the next bloggy...