Monday, February 20, 2012

20/02/12

I can't work in an office.
I think it gives me an actual headache.
As opposed to those imaginary headaches.

Anyway. I've been on a wee music kick recently. And I don't really have anyone to listen to my enthusiasm about it anymore so... I'ma put it here. In no particular order.

Jesse Thomas - Better Geography


www.ourstage.com

I love the grit to her voice.  And the concept of better geography. Is that enough?

Meg Myers - Monster


Ok so it's dark and harsh and has strings and she says 'fucking' slowly with emphasis. Swoon. 


Jenny Owen Youngs - Your Apartment


Ok I like the sort of simple drums. Also, I think it reminds me of tom's diner.. somehow..?  I like how it snaps back to sort of very rhythmic talking/singing. 

Jenny Owen Youngs - O God



I find this song strangely sexy. 
The way she says 'loose'. And this bit is well clever: 
You know her breath will catch and how her fingers curl... around the gnawing hope she'll find a love that burns.. I've seen a hundred backs but never one return.. 


Jesse Thomas - You I Want

Bring the nicotine, I'll bring the wine.. 


Jesse Thomas - Sidewalk Ends


Oh I wanna be the pill that calms her down.. the medicine inside her veins when I'm around.. 
Again, it's the sort of snarl she gets in her voice sometimes..

City of Stars - Untrue



So these guys are from Belfast. You can kinda hear it on some of the words..
I quite like when it breaks down...
And I let down my guard.. you're the one who let go of my heart..

Meg Myers - After You

I love how it gets all dark and brooding.. and the imagery is really good.. and then it switches back at the end and gets all chilled..
Just wanna dance with you all night, when everyone has their disguise.. 
I stole this sweater from your car so I'd have you all night in my arms..

Jenny Owen Youngs - Pirates


Och, it's called pirates! that's always worth a point. Ignore the first like, 2 minutes. S'just chat.
Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt...
I just like the driving of the song. I guess it's more apparent in the album version..

Rainy Boy Sleep - Shopping Centre Song


I really like his voice. Soft and ragged at the time.
Don't let the road lead you the wrong way..

No comments: